The Seller Was Sending the Wrong Message
First impressions are critical. In this case, the buyers believed this house
had not been well taken care of. Remember, it takes time for a Realtor to get
the key out of the lockbox and open the door, so buyers are spending more time
looking around the front door area than normal. Buyers notice insects, dirty windows and
siding, old locksets……..or the opposite: a clean, well-maintained, attractive
If you’re selling a $300,000+ home on the Southside of Jacksonville, it’s important to keep up with the expectations of the neighborhood. A buyer expects good curb appeal and a front entrance with a little pizzazz. Here are some of the most effective ways of doing that:
- Painting the front door with a contrasting color
- Adding fresh mulch to the landscape
- Replacing locksets (go with whatever finish is currently popular in model homes.)
- Adding flower pots to flank the front door
- Repainting or replacing outdoor light fixtures
- Pressure washing the exterior and removing mud daubers
- Replacing the door mat with something as inviting as it is functional.
- Most of all, cleaning everything in front so that it’s spotless.
Channel your Martha Stewart and ask her what she would do to improve curb appeal.
The Saddest Part of All
The house was wonderful inside and located in a great neighborhood (close to shopping, restaurants and A rated schools). It would have been a good purchase. But the buyers were turned off and never made an offer. Or if they had made an offer, I bet it would have been much lower than asking price.
Need More Expert Advice About Selling Your Home?
I pride myself on giving homeowners advice they can count on when selling their home. While other agents are telling you to replace counter tops and take on big unnecessary jobs, I prefer to help my clients get the most money at closing by focusing on the fixes that actually matter. As always, I am here to help. Let me know if I can help you navigate your way through any issues you may have.
Let me know if I can help you.